bigwheel bigwheel is offline
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Baker View Post
bigwheel wrote:

: Bj??rn Steensrud;1821942 Wrote:
: Billy wrote:
: -
:
: What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
: with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.-
:
: Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can
: be
: salt free if you need it:
:
: A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
: fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion
: and a
: quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.
:
: After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice
: of
: rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly
: 100 g
: of each kind to 1 kg meat.
:
: Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
: whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.
:
: Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I
: think.

: Thanks for the recipe. Arrahhhaa..nope..that aint pulled beef. That
: called soup..lol. Sounds mighty tasty too. How come no stock allowed?
: That just dont seem fair. As Emeril say..Water takes away flavor..stock
: adds flavor. Are we trying to dodge fat or salt here? Enquiring minds
: need to know this kinda stuff.
: --
: bigwheel

As isthe case in the chicken soup recipe I sent in as well as this one,
long cooking with the meat(or chicken) actually is like making a stock and
then using it. In old family recipes this was the standard proceedure.
Generally making a stock as not frequently done as a separate proceedure
and soup was always a long cooking enterprise, taking several hours on a
low flame. Readily available stock was not something people had and soup
ws made, often, from what was around the house and as far as vegetables
were concerned, whtever ws about to gobad.

Wendy
Good food history lessons. Thanks. I lived through all that stuff. Guess I started getting interested in soup bases as flavor addendums back in the 70's mainly due to the influence of a cook book I was reading at the time which heartily recommended the procedure. Well about 30 years later I finally started bumping into some brands of bases which added flavor and not just salt...so I started using them and have been a happy camper since. Now if I was on a strict no salt diet guess I could get used to the water only flavor.