Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_18_] dsi1[_18_] is offline

Default Help help..

On 3/18/2013 11:25 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2013 10:30:26 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> I never make it with salted turnip but evidently lots of folks do. I
>> slice ginger as thinly as I can and add it to the soup. No need to peel.
>> It's good food for sick folks as well as those that are fit.

> Ginger is SO good in simple chicken & rice soup... the fast kind where
> you just simmer raw chicken in water until done, shred and add it back
> to the broth with some precooked rice (mine isn't thick, like jook).
> Chopped green onion makes it pretty, but isn't absolutely necessary.
> I didn't realize my kids even liked it until DD told me recently that
> she craves "Mom's chicken and rice soup" when she's not feeling well.

I never liked jook when I was growing up - it seemed kind strange. I
started making it for my mother-in-law and then found it to be kind of
tasty. Laying some slices of Chinese roast pork would probably give it
some extra appeal.

The important thing to remember is that you have to use Japanese style
short grain rice to make this dish. If you're making American style rice
soup, long grain would be fine.