Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Help help..

On 3/18/2013 12:15 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 15, 5:37 pm, bigwheel >
>> wrote:
>>> Ok..I hear about all the yankees making soup out of deceased turkey
>>> carcasses...and I happen to have a left over smoked version. It been
>>> simmering for a good bit. What is the next step? Thanks.

>> We make jook,
>>
>> http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2006/11...n-theres-jook/

> I'm sure that tastes good but looks more like what the baby threw up. heheh
> What is Hawaiian Salt? Are you folks holding out on the rest of us?

That's not a very appealing picture. The jook that I make looks a lot
nicer. It used to be one of the few things that my mother-in-law would
eat. My jook was turkey or chicken based with a prominent ginger taste.
If you scorch the bottom of the pan, you get a wonderful taste - or you
can just add some MSG.

Essentially Hawaiian salt is just big granules of salt. I wouldn't use
that in cooking unless I was seasoning a steak and wanted some crunch.