Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default My favourite soup

?B?QmrDuHJu?= Steensrud > wrote:
> Billy wrote:
>

> > What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
> > with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.

> Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can
> be salt free if you need it:
>
> A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
> fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion and
> a quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.
>
> After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice
> of rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly
> 100 g of each kind to 1 kg meat.
>
> Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
> whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.
>
> Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I
> think.

My daughter surprised me with corned beef and cabbage for St. Paddy's Day,
today. Not salty or spiced, with carrots and a little potato. Really good.
Enough broth for a nice soup, too. Manyana.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~