Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Help help..

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:39:22 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 3/17/2013 11:26 AM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>

> > I bought "Liquid Smoke" once years ago. I think the ingredients were only
> > hickory smoke and water. I used half the recommended amount on a steak and
> > it was very overpowering and nasty. I never used it again and eventually
> > threw the bottle in the trash.
> >
> > G.
> >

> My mother used to use Colgin's Liquid Smoke. For what, I don't know. I
> have a bottle of "Kitchen Bouquet Browning and Seasoning Sauce" in the
> cupboard. I have no idea how old it is. I'm saving it for when recipes
> from the 1960's come back in style.

Kitchen Bouquet is good for making a sauce that's too blonde darker.
Seasoning, it's not. Maggi is one I tried, but it didn't cut the
mustard for me. I prefer real (Chinese) soy sauce or Worcestershire,
Maggi has a weird and weak "wannabe" flavor I just couldn't get used
to.