Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water!

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 06:11:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:24:31 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >> Right.
> >> Furnaces heat air, boilers heat water. The terms are often used
> >> incorrectly.

> >YES! I know old public buildings and some super old apartment
> >buildings (and those converted to condos) still operate with a boiler
> >system - but come on... single family HOUSES? The only "modern"
> >heating water source I know about is fed by the water heater, not a
> >boiler (mid-century modern Eichler houses and modern bathrooms with a
> >floor heating system in the floor).

> As I said, if it heats water, the term used for the device is a
> boiler. They range from smallish units for the house to large
> industrial sized 100 HP units in industrial or commercial settings. If
> you go to a 3000 room hotel in Las Vegas, chances are the domestic hot
> water for you shower is heated by a big Cleaver Brooks boiler.
>

> > Define the parameters if it's not
> >a single family house, which is what I think most of the people here
> >were talking about in generalized terms. I don't know enough about a
> >whole building boiler systems to know if hot water from a faucet comes
> >from the same place that provides heat to the buildings or not. What
> >I do know is that boiler systems are not commonly used in single
> >family housing here... like Aga stoves, they are out of the ordinary.

> If they are heating water, it is a boiler. Sorry, but that is the
> proper term. Single family to big apartment complex, boilers heat the
> water. In smaller units like the house, they do both the heating and
> the domestic water.
> http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-mclain/pc-boilers/

Like I said in another thread.... turn over enough rocks and you can
prove any point.

> You will see units that do both.
> http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/weil-m...ue-gas-boiler/
> •Gas fired water boiler with cast aluminum heat exchanger
> •Venturi mixing body mixes air and gas providing higher efficiency
> •Designed to operate in low temperature condensing applications
> •Outdoor reset and domestic hot water priority standard
>
> I don't know what is common in your town, but they are very common in
> the cooler climates. Millions of residential boilers exist. Probably
> 80% of the homes in New England have boilers. A few still have steam.

We had a hot water heater, not a boiler, when I lived in Michigan.
Water heaters have boilers in them, but no one and I mean NO ONE calls
the entire unit a boiler. Like I said before, commercial and public
buildings have large units called boilers but it is not a term used in
single family residential.