Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Who Was It That Recently Asked About A Hot Water Heater -- I'm In Hot Water!

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:42:32 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:25:06 -0500, jay > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>>
>> > Anyone needs a new hot water heater or just wants to save a bunch of
>> > money an On-Demand Tankless hot water heater works great... had this
>> > installed yesterday:
>> > http://i48.tinypic.com/ofm8x.jpg
>> > http://i46.tinypic.com/20p318l.jpg
>> >
>> > http://www.rinnai.us/tankless-water-...-vc2837ffud-us

>> Nice clean installation.. and they installed proper flush ports and
>> installed a sediment trap on the gas line. Good for you! Rinnai is know
>> to be a good product. Works well if centrally located. Mine has to be
>> circulated due to location and I don't think it saves that much on the
>> bill. I have a Noritz.
>>

>So these are whole house units? Probably work better in smaller
>houses, 1500 sf and under.

That's totally untrue... large hotels are using them now (they save a
lot of money). Naturally the units are available in several sizes,
same as ordinary water heaters... unless you have more than four
showers running all at once you wouldn't need a unit larger than the
one I have. And for large commercial use several units can be used at
once. The unit also needs to be sized based on climate, I live where
it's cold so the water is colder so I need a higher rated unit. But
most of the savings is because of the on-demand feature, it only heats
the water that's needed at the moment, there's no idle large tank of
water to keep hot. I showered a full twenty minutes this morning, the
water was as hot when I started as when I finished. Oh, and
conventional tank type water heaters need service too, of course most
folks neglect them and so they're even less efficient, and they don't
have a very long life.