Van

Default Fourth of July Food

"Martin Golding" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:21:10 +0000, Tara wrote:
>
> > What did everyone eat?

> We made dinner for sixty five of our closest friends.

We made dinner for (also) about 65 people, of whom only about 10 were
acutual friends. Not sure how 'close' they would be had we not been serving
food and had the pool heated to the upper 80s.

For lunch we had pulled pork sammiches from butts smoked the day before. I
used the Dinosaur BBQ "Cajun Foreplay" rub on 'em. This was for the very
few who showed up early to help set up (and swim).

For dinner, I made Cornell Chicken (cooked on a 3-block-high block pit for 2
hours) - 70 halves (similar to 'Brooks BBQ" - but better), plus
corn-on-the-cob & salt potatoes. We also provided 2 kegs o' brew. Several
of the 'friends' brought a dish-to-pass like salads, beans, etc. My memory
fails me probably because when it was time to eat, I had been flippin'
chicken racks & sippin Scotch for 2 hours.

I guess a good time was had by all: most threatened to come back again. In
the early 80's we did this every July 4th (one year over 130 epople!) like
clockwork. The first year we *didn't* have a July 4th party I got attitude
from people who thought that we had had the party and didn't invite *them*!

Happy weekend, all!,

Van