Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Chayote squash and a little OT & ping Susan

If you like apple pie you can boil them in slices in water that has
artificial sweetener of some kind. They absorb whatever flavour they are
cooked in. A piece of clove in the water is good too. Make a crumble
topping with cinnamon, butter, crushed almonds and a bit of sweetener.
Served warm with whipped cream - yum.

"basilisk" wrote in message

Some time back Susan had posted about Chayote squash.

They are quite good sauteed and used as a sub for potato
in soups and stews.

They were somewhat expensive, so, I am trying my hand at
growing them.

They require a long growing season and have to be sprouted
directly from the squash, currently I have two with runners
about 4 feet long started in pots inside, with another month to
go before they can be moved outside.

In my zone it is possible for them to come back from roots,
year to year.
Hopefully this will turn into an abundant source of easy to
care for squash.

Thanks, Susan

basilisk