Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Todd Todd is offline

Default anyone have a favorite ranch dressing recipe?

On 02/16/2013 10:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 02/16/2013 02:22 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>>> Hidden Valley Ranch

>> Oh S---! "Main ingredients include: maltodextrin, ..." [1]
>> Do you realize what that is? That is super glucose with a
>> Glycemic Index (GI) of 110 [2]. 10 higher than glusose!
>> And since there is a labeling loophole for Maltodextrin,
>> it is not declared on the label as a carb or a sugar. Liar's
>> Glucose!
>>

>> -T
>>
>> 1)
>> http://www.livestrong.com/article/37...-dressing-mix/
>>
>> 2)
>> http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide...weeteners.html

> I have never heard anyone call this "Liar's Glucose" but you and that's
> really not a good thing to be calling it.

I call it "Liar's Glucose" as it does not get declared on the label
as a sugar or a carb due to labeling loophole.

> Yes, it can raise BG in some people but not all.

I don't believe I am hearing this from you. Liar's Glucose is
"is a polysaccharide, made of many monosaccharide units, all
of which are glucose" [1][2]. Liar's Glucose "is easily
digestible, being absorbed as rapidly as glucose" [2].
I turn to Glucose right on your tung. So the only way a
person would not react to to Maltodextrin would be it they
also did not react to Glucose. I do believe this is called
being "dead".

And I carry on about Liar's Glucose because people can get
hold of products claiming zero carb and zero sugar and
have all kinds of blood sugar problems from it.

> And by saying this you could lead someone to believe
> that it could be used for a hypo. And it shouldn't!

What do you mean "hypo"? Low blood sugar? If so, you
can use any sugar/carb. The speed would depend on the
how fast it gets into your system. And the Glycemic
Index that you do not believe in is one of the best ways
to predict the speed.

> I hope you *do* know that the Glycemic Index is badly flawed and is not much
> of a reliable thing to be used by anyone. When they made the thing they
> used a few healthy young adults to come up with those numbers. And those
> numbers were only for those specific foods that they tested. Add another
> food to your meal or snack and the numbers are total nonsense.

Please back up what you say. If I have to reference that the ocean
is made up of water to a bunch of sailors, so do you.

-T

1) http://www.livestrong.com/article/41...-maltodextrin/

2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltodextrin