Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default anyone have a favorite ranch dressing recipe?

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/16/2013 02:22 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>> Hidden Valley Ranch

> Oh S---! "Main ingredients include: maltodextrin, ..." [1]
> Do you realize what that is? That is super glucose with a
> Glycemic Index (GI) of 110 [2]. 10 higher than glusose!
> And since there is a labeling loophole for Maltodextrin,
> it is not declared on the label as a carb or a sugar. Liar's
> Glucose!
>

> -T
>
> 1)
> http://www.livestrong.com/article/37...-dressing-mix/
>
> 2)
> http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide...weeteners.html

I have never heard anyone call this "Liar's Glucose" but you and that's
really not a good thing to be calling it. Yes, it can raise BG in some
people but not all. And by saying this you could lead someone to believe
that it could be used for a hypo. And it shouldn't!

I hope you *do* know that the Glycemic Index is badly flawed and is not much
of a reliable thing to be used by anyone. When they made the thing they
used a few healthy young adults to come up with those numbers. And those
numbers were only for those specific foods that they tested. Add another
food to your meal or snack and the numbers are total nonsense.