Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black Cat Popcorn?

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> We had discriminating birds in both Greensboro and Seattle. Not only did
> they turn their beaks up at cracked corn, they'd eschew the safflower
> and millet as well. In our new digs in the 'burbs, bird feeding (except
> for hummingbirds) is discouraged to avoid a vermin overpopulation
> problem. We don't see many songbirds or squirrels here, courtesy of the
> eagles and other raptors in the neighborhood. We do have lots of ducks,
> cormorants, and Canada geese, since the condo overlooks a river.
> Yesterday there were over 30 geese on the strip of land between the
> condo and the river. (No wonder the grass is so green...)

Yeah. They won't eat millet in this area. They would in NY. There, I
could get cheap seed and it would always get eaten. Here, I would put out
cracked corn for the squirrels, or fresh. They really did love a cob of
fresh corn! They also liked peanuts as did the Stellar Jays. But the
favorite were the black oil sunflower seeds which of course are expensive.
Once in a while I will get hazelnuts for the squirrels but I can only give
them to them when I see them present in the yard. I don't dare just leave
them out there.