Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber Alice Faber is offline

Default My favourite soup

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 02/16/2013 03:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> > Red lentils according to carb limits

> Lentils, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt [1]:
> 39 Grams of carbohydrate per cup.
>
> I could count how many lentils I could have on one hand.
>
> What would you substitute?

First, note the 16 or so grams of fiber. Second, if you put the lentils
in soup, you don't have to have a full 1 cup serving of lentils. I just
made a soup, but haven't tasted it yet, as it needs a cool-reheat cycle,
that started with 1/2 cup dry lentils. Given all the other stuff in the
soup, it will probably be 6 or 8 servings of soup. (There are carbs from
some of the other veggies, but the bulk of the soup is shredded cabbage.)

I have generally had no difficulty with other legumes in soup, but this
is my first try in a long time to have lentils. I anticipate extra
testing tomorrow, to see how this works.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet