Posted to alt.food.diabetic
pavane[_5_] pavane[_5_] is offline

Default Jerusalem Artichoke Flour

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> I did ask this on the regular food NG but got no meaningful responses.
> Anyone have experience with this? We had some good coupons at QFC and one
> was for our choice of a "natural" item. Angela chose two packages of
> "whole wheat" pasta but when I got it home, I realized that it also had
> this flour in it.
>
> Many years ago, we ate some Jerusalem Artichokes raw. I think Angela and
> my husband only had one bite each. Not enough to give them a problem.
> Me? I ate quite a few because I liked them. Until the gas began. And
> never again To me they are worse than sugar alcohols. But someone told me
> they are less of a problem when cooked.
>
> Has anyone tried this flour? I'm a little leery of this pasta although it
> is lower in carbs than regular whole wheat stuff.

Sorry, I've never come across the flour. But I'm well aware of the negative
effects of them either raw or cooked (yeah, I love the taste. Ah well)
Quoting from Wikipedia from older sources: "which way soever they be
dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind
within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented,
and are a meat more fit for swine than men."
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke>
I can't see any reason that grinding them into flour would diminish
these picturesque effects. Can you?

pavane