Posted to rec.food.preserving
Gloria P Gloria P is offline

Default Painful price rise

A few days ago, wandering through my local supermarket (in the Kroger
chain) I noticed the preserving products. With a sinking heart, I
saw packages of Sure-Jel (one-batch size) for $3.89! OMG, after you
factor in the price of sugar, even if you grow your own fruit, the price
of jam making is no longer a bargain.

Of course, when you look at commercial jams and even the farmers' market
locally made, they are hovering at $5-10 per jar.

Ball pectin, in their online store, is still listed at $.99/pkg.
I may have to plan ahead and buy online this year.

gloria p