Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default My dressing recipe for your review

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: On 2/11/2013 7:51 PM, Todd wrote:
: > On 02/11/2013 01:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: >
: >> How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
: >> fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
: >> don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
: >> carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
: >> US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
: >> only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
: >> or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot
: >> me.
: >> Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
: >> many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.
: >>
: >> Wendy
: >>
: >
: > Hi Wendy,
: >
: > My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
: > Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
: > your BG after a carb/fiber combo?
: >
: > -T

: Your GP is only partly right.
: Diabetic carb counters are taught that anything with more than 5 grams
: of dietary fiber PER SERVING can be subtracted from total carbs for "net
: carbs" This does not work for sugar alcohols (like Atkins does) which
: most Endos we've used say you can halve, but not totally deduct. Any
: fiber less than 5 grams per serving cannot be subtracted for net carbs
: when carb counting. Something with 25 grams of carbs and 7 grams of
: dietary fiber would count as 18 grams of carbs for purposes of an
: insulin bolus.

: It also has to be per serving as listed on the label.

: My DH is a carb counter and uses an insulin pump so he needs to
: calculate carbs for meals and snacks. His A1C is always under 6.1. His
: endo just told him that at his age, he needs to raise it as his control
: is too a little too tight and she worries about lows.

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Jaanet,
I just got the same from my endo who reduced my Met by half and may try to
tinker with my glimperide at the next visit . He worries about my 5.8 Aic
and the occasionaly 70's reading for fbg because of my age. I am not
thrilled by this as i have spent the last 18 years of my life working so
haed to achieve control. I would love to see an intellegent discussion
about this topid ,, perhaps on MHD rather than asd because ofthe terrible
topic changing that has been going on.

I am not on insulin and have not had a nyo in many, many years.

Wendy