Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default My dressing recipe for your review

On 2/11/2013 7:51 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 02/11/2013 01:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>
>> How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
>> fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
>> don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
>> carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
>> US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
>> only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
>> or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot
>> me.
>> Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
>> many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> Hi Wendy,
>
> My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
> Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
> your BG after a carb/fiber combo?
>
> -T

Your GP is only partly right.
Diabetic carb counters are taught that anything with more than 5 grams
of dietary fiber PER SERVING can be subtracted from total carbs for "net
carbs" This does not work for sugar alcohols (like Atkins does) which
most Endos we've used say you can halve, but not totally deduct. Any
fiber less than 5 grams per serving cannot be subtracted for net carbs
when carb counting. Something with 25 grams of carbs and 7 grams of
dietary fiber would count as 18 grams of carbs for purposes of an
insulin bolus.

It also has to be per serving as listed on the label.

My DH is a carb counter and uses an insulin pump so he needs to
calculate carbs for meals and snacks. His A1C is always under 6.1. His
endo just told him that at his age, he needs to raise it as his control
is too a little too tight and she worries about lows.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas