Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default My dressing recipe for your review

Todd > wrote:
: On 02/11/2013 01:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:

: > How many grams of those carbs are fiber? Many of us find that using high
: > fiber foods(that the US counts as carbs as a catch all but British folk
: > don't but list them separately) acrtually reduces the effective nomer of
: > carb grams in the food, so if something had 5 grams of carb listed in the
: > US and uder that lists 4 grams carb, you are for most purposes gettign
: > only about 2 grams of carbsin the portion. I count only the effective ,
: > or starchy or sugary, non-fiber carbs in my diet and it works well fot me.
: > Many food value listing books do give these number so yocan figure how
: > many "turn into sugar" carbs a food actually has.
: >
: > Wendy
: >

: Hi Wendy,

: My GP said that balancing carbs against fiber is an
: Akins thing. He said I don't get too. Have you measured
: your BG after a carb/fiber combo?

: -T

I did all this years ago already and now don't do all that much mesuring
anymore , yet seem to maintain my good numbers, A1c's etc. I found I
could eat quite a few grams of fiber with no problem at all, If the
vegetabes ate were high fiber I di dmuch better and could eat quite large
portions with no bad rises in bgs and would have <140 at 1 hour and <120
at 2 hours pp, which was my goal. When I still check occasionally pp now
I still get nice lot numbers if I have not done something stupid with or
after dinner:-) I find keepign track of the pure carb, not the fibler
works well for me. I might well eat that whole 7 oz cup of brussells
sprouts with no high readings so I do generally subtract my fiber grams
form my calculations and it works for me. 28+ years as a type 2 5.8Aic,
fbgs usually in the 80s or 90s and recently had my endo reduce my
Metformin to 5oomgs of the extended release(1 pil at dinner) from 500 at
breakfast and 500 at dinner and my 1 mg of glimperide before bed. I have
not had an A1c since the change, but after a period of adjustment my fbgs
are again in range wit fewer in the 70's whic is what ws bothering my endo
as I am almost 77 and he is worryig about hyos which I don't actually get,
but are supposed to be a problem with older people. Not sure I agree with
him, but I am goin gaaalong at this time.

Wendy