Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 23:17:23 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:35:41 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 07:57:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
> >
> >> The people who do
> >> them should be respected for the service they provide.

> >ABSOLUTELY... and not underpaid. I doubt a single person here has
> >ever turned down a raise and yet they think it's okay for servers
> >national minimum wage not to have risen in the last 20 years.
> >
> >> I'd better stop, I feel a sermon coming on ;o)

> But the tips have risen along with the prices at the restaurant. I've
> known servers to make in the range of $25 to $30 or more an hour in
> the good spot. That is based on average take home for a 40 or so hour
> week. They don't need an increase in the minimum.
>
> We ate out tonight. It was about 90 minutes and I left $20. If he
> had that from four tables, he is making a decent wage, I'd say. Plenty
> of people would like to make that.
>
> Maybe in some low price dive they need it, but not at the top spots.

Why cloud the issue? Nobody is questioning how much servers can earn
in top restaurants. We're talking about everyday servers in run of the
mill restaurants. When we're paying anywhere from $100 to $400+ per
person, we expect that they are well compensated by the restaurant and
patrons in terms of a base salary, medical coverage and tips.