Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_5_] Nancy Young[_5_] is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On 2/7/2013 9:42 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 06/02/2013 6:06 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 17:32:23 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>> What bothered me was that someone was actually watching us constantly
>>> and came right over once my water glass got below half filled. It's
>>> annoying to me and probably most diners.
>>>

>> Not if you're used to dining out.

> Not everyone dines out with the intention of having a serving hovering
> at your disposal and trying to be your best friend until you pay your
> bill. If I am out with friends and we are having a nice conversation
> and enjoying good food I don't want to be constantly interrupted. A good
> waiter is one who is there when you want them, not one who is always in
> your face.

Agreed. I don't want to see the waiter unless I'm ordering or I need
something. If I have to start craning my neck to get my drink refilled,
I'm kind of annoyed. A good waiter can accomplish this without being
obvious.

nancy