Posted to rec.food.cooking
I'm back[_2_] I'm back[_2_] is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

Ed Pawlowski > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 08:35:41 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 07:57:55 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>>
>>> The people who do
>>> them should be respected for the service they provide.

>>ABSOLUTELY... and not underpaid. I doubt a single person here has
>>ever turned down a raise and yet they think it's okay for servers
>>national minimum wage not to have risen in the last 20 years.
>>
>>> I'd better stop, I feel a sermon coming on ;o)

> But the tips have risen along with the prices at the restaurant. I've
> known servers to make in the range of $25 to $30 or more an hour in
> the good spot. That is based on average take home for a 40 or so hour
> week. They don't need an increase in the minimum.
>
> We ate out tonight. It was about 90 minutes and I left $20. If he
> had that from four tables, he is making a decent wage, I'd say. Plenty
> of people would like to make that.
>
> Maybe in some low price dive they need it, but not at the top spots.

What irks me gteatly is some stablishments here in Oz are starting to
actually put a place on the receipt for an extra tip.... most likely
because damn ignorant 'Merikans come over here and (back when *they* had
the higher value dollar!!) act the same as they do back home.

The sooner the morons wake up and realise they *don't* have to tip over
here, the better it'll be for those of us that have to live here.

There are now approx 5 restaurants (mainly down the Gold Coast) that I
won't go back to because they charge a good price for their meals and
drinks, and then expect a tip on top.

--
Peter
Brisbane