Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On 06/02/2013 1:33 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 13:23:13 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>> Maybe it would encourage them to lay off all that phony tip soliciting
>> behaviour like filling your water glass every time you take a sip, or
>> topping up wine glasses.
>>

> If they didn't do that for you, you'd be yammering about the poor
> service you get.

Would I? I have been in countries where tipping is not expected and
had great service. If I have problems with service I won't be back.
With the tipping system, I am still expected to tip.

> They aren't soliciting tips by doing that, they are
> simply being attentive to you. You are suspicious because you're sure
> they are out to get into your wallet.

You don't think that there are tip soliciting behaviours? I guess you
were never a server.

> Do you keep your calculator
> next to your plate?

Yeah right. I have said that I am willing to pay higher prices that
include service being paid to the servers.