Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On 06/02/2013 11:05 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Remove tipping and there'd be zero servers... servers take home fatter
> pay checks just from tips than many professional's salaries.

Yet, we are supposed to feel sorry for them and tip them because their
hourly rate is so low. I am trying to understand the economic argument
against paying them a good hourly rate or including the service in the
menu price and paying it directly to the server as a form of commission.
If people insist that they always tip 15-25% I don't understand the
argument that has to be left to the customer. Apparently they are paying
that much anyway.

Maybe it would encourage them to lay off all that phony tip soliciting
behaviour like filling your water glass every time you take a sip, or
topping up wine glasses.