Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 07:09:21 -0500, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail>
wrote:

>On 2/5/2013 11:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I bet many waiters don't want to get a "decent wage" as they can do
>> better on tips. Depends on the particular restaurant, but many make a
>> very good living, better than most salaried people.

>I've been a regular at a number of restaurants over the years.
>The people who wait on me are not stupid, they aren't indentured
>servants, waiting is not the only career they are capable of doing
>successfully. When they leave a job, they go wait or tend bar
>elsewhere, often. They have houses, cars, families. Maybe they are
>working their way through college.
>
>In the meantime, I leave a good tip, we all get what we came for
>and people don't need to wring their hands in despair for them.
>Geez, if it takes me an hour to eat (rarely), they make minimum
>wage just off me ... and they have a bunch more tables.
>
>nancy

I'm just adding on here, Nancy. Different people appreciate the
surroundings and work in different kinds of jobs. Some people like
working in offices. Other go bonkers if confined in nice clothes in
an environment like that. Some people like a job with changing
circumstances. All jobs need someone to do them. The people who do
them should be respected for the service they provide. I'd better
stop, I feel a sermon coming on ;o)
Janet US