Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On 2/6/2013 8:47 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> the
>>> Perth

>> Great to have that kind of information about ancestors that far back.
>>
>> -- John

> My great-uncle Boyd did the research. Pre-computers! Based on bits
> and pieces he'd heard over the years, he combed through historical
> society records, old letters, church parish records of marriages,
> births and deaths. It took him 20+ years to put the family history
> together. It must have been a painstakingly slow undertaking.
>
> What puzzles me is did the guy (John McQuown) leave a wife behind in
> Scotland? Or had she died? If she didn't die, did she somehow join
> them in the colonies later? He and his son were *both* captured and
> transported. In the family history there is mention of him having a
> wife in Pennsylvania. Obviously she wasn't captured in the battle.
> The guy could have been a bigamist I doubt it, but I guess I'll
> never know.
>
> Jill

Jill, you may be interested in this URL:

http://www.thesonsofscotland.co.uk/t...bridge1679.htm

Your ancestor appears to have been a member of the Scottish Covenanters'
who rebelled against Charles II. It wasn't even just the English who won
the battle but the Royal Army plus Scottish troops from near Glasgow.

From the URL.

«
The royal army was further reinforced as it advanced towards Glasgow by
troops from Scotland. (The commander) Monmouth had the support of
several able military leaders, including Claverhouse, the earl of
Linlithgow, the earl of Airlie, Lord Mar, and the earl of Home.
»

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.