Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] norelski@no.com is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 09:15:18 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>The government does make assumptions. The server is taxed for tips (I
>forget the percentage, 10%?) based on total sales. The difference is if
>the tip is put on a credit card it's "proof" they got that tip. If they
>get no tip at all the (US) government still assumes they did and they
>are taxed accordingly.
>
>Jill

I wouldn't do business with a place that had mandatory tips. If it's
mandatory, them the menu price should just be raised to include the tip
and the worker given that percentage, or get a better salary. There are
some workers that simply do not deserve a tip. There is a local
bartender in her early 20s who spends her entire time bartending staring
at her cellphone, and customers have to literally hollar to get her
attention. I think she is what they refer to as a cellphone addict.
She dont even look at people when she talks to them, she just stares at
that phone. (I often wonder what is so important on that thing). I
thought the so called "cellphone addiction" was just another myth, until
I saw this woman. She dont even show emotions, it's like she is lost
inside that little box......

I dont tip her. she dont deserve it. And I'm pretty patient in bars and
restaurants, moreso in bars. But when someone walks into a bar, you'd
think the bartender would at least acknowledge the fact the person
walked in. Not her! I've seen some of the heavy drinkers throw ice
cubes at her to get her attention, and sometimes they have to toss quite
a few before she notices. I know for fact that there have been
complaints given to the bar owner about her, but I guess she is cheap
help, so the keep her.

I've often thought what would happen if a fight broke out or another
problem, would she even notice? It's not the type of bar where there is
much trouble, but it can happen anywhere that people drink alcohol.

She was already cited for serving a minor once, because she's too busy
looking at that phone to check IDs.

My point is that there are some people who dont deserve a tip, and if
they make it mandatory, I wont do business with the place. Tips were
meant to show gratitude for good service, and if I was treated well, I
am happy to tip them.