kilikini

Default Speculation on Food Origins

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > The thread about Crab Legs, and also the one about 10 Foods it Takes

Guts to
> > Eat, leads me to post this.
> >
> > Here are a few of my thoughts which don't necessarily count for a hill

of
> > beans, as some will tell you
> >
> > I suspect people first decided to eat crabs because they saw sea-birds

(or
> > maybe even bears in certain areas) cracking them open on rocks and

plucking
> > out the meat. Probably the same with oysters, clams, mussels, etc.

> Makes sense.
>

> > Drinking milk is rather a given; human women have always breast fed and

so
> > do goats, cows, sheep. Naturally it would follow, milk the cow.

> Also makes sense.
> >
> > Berries and fruit I can also understand; watch the birds and the deer,

they
> > eat them so they must be pretty much okay.

> Some risk in that of course. Some berries are poisonous to humans but
> not to other animals.
> >
> > But what made that first brave soul pluck a mushroom from the ground and

eat
> > it?

> Rather what made the *second* brave soul try again after the first one
> died...
>
> >So many nightshades are deadly.

> True. Could have been a case of desperation. Someone was starving and
> ate the nightshade berries that didn't look like the other nightshade
> berries.
>

> What wild critters were they watching
> > to determine this one was okay and that one wasn't?

> As was said before, there probably was a lot of trial and error. Not
> everything that animals can eat is completely safe for humans. After
> all, birds don't suffer chile burns the way mammals do.

Okay, this kind of follows what I was saying about the blowfish. How many
people tried it and died before someone found that one little spot that
wasn't poisonous? Jack ate it and died, Johnny died, Herman died, now
Trevor didn't die, Casey died......I mean, how did they EVER figure out that
one spot?

kili
--
I do not live in the world of sobriety. - - Oliver Reed