Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

jmcquown wrote:

> The government does make assumptions. The server is taxed for tips (I
> forget the percentage, 10%?) based on total sales. The difference is if
> the tip is put on a credit card it's "proof" they got that tip. If they
> get no tip at all the (US) government still assumes they did and they
> are taxed accordingly.

Not even credit cards. Restaurants keep track of the tickets from each
waitress and yes the government taxes them on tips whether or not they get
them. It's either 8% or 10%. I forget but thats true. My daughter did that
for several years so I did learn some of the "behind the scene" info about
that job.

Gary