Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 08:46:16 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 2/3/2013 3:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> If I'm ordering the pasta
>> putanesca at $12.95 I'm not going to order a $30 bottle of vino, a
>> liter of house dago red at $7.95 is more than adequate. Folks need to
>> keep things in perspective. Most restaurants present a separate bar
>> tab, if not I can do the math and tip the server for the food only.

>If the server is the person going to and from the bar to bring you your
>drinks (along with your food, water, bread, etc.), why shouldn't he/she
>be tipped for doing so?

Because no food server can do that efficiently. If it's the kind of
dive where the food server is carrying bar drinks I wouldn't be a
patron there... I already wrote that I don't want food servers
fetching my bar drinks, when they find the time and remember to hustle
over to the bar, and by then my drink has diluted/warmed if they even
remembered to place the order and correctly, if it even comes at all
that day... no barmaid, no me. And I don't include the price of
liquor/wine with my food bill for calculating the tip... I tip for
spirits separately, by the drink, not by the drink price. For bottled
wine I tip the same for a $15 bottle as for a $60 bottle ($3-$4) no
more than $1 per glass. I expect a barmaid to take my drink order, I
don't want a food server attempting to hustle me for drinks, I don't
want the food server taking my drink order same as I don't want a
barmaid taking my food order. If a restaurant has a bar they had
better have a barmaid or I won't be a patron. A barmaid can make good
money, they can easily serve 40 drinks an hour (most go to the same
tables at once), at a buck tip per you figure it out.