Dave Smith

Default Tricks & Tips

jmcquown wrote:

> Another trick I learned, if you live in a humid climate, is to put a few
> grains of white rice into your salt shaker. It absorbs the moisture and
> keeps the salt free-pouring.
>
> Anyone else have any good simple tips for handling things in the pantry or
> around the kitchen?

A bit of rice in a salt shaker does indeed keep salt free flowing in a shaker.
My wife, in one of her blonde moments, figured that it did such a good job in
the shaker that it would be a good idea to put some in the box of salt. Every
time I measure out some salt from the box I have to pick out the rice. My tip
would be not to do this :-)