Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 08:48:56 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 2 Feb 2013 13:00:23 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >Boy, this outta be good for a battle royal.
> >
> >Should restaurant patrons be subject to an automatic surcharge (it's
> >not a tip!) for groups over a certain number?
> >
> >I think not. I once ran across this at a Chevy's. Surcharge for
> >parties over six ppl. For what? Why? How is serving 6 ppl at one
> >table more work than serving 3 ppl at two tables? And 18%! That's
> >almost one fifth of the total added on. It's not only unfair, it's a
> >rip-off, pure and simple. If it's such a chore to serve 6 ppl at one
> >table, perhaps the proprietor should find another line of work or have
> >smaller tables with a big sign out front.
> >
> >BTW, how in God's name (it was church folk) did 20 ppl manage to run
> >up a bill of only $34 at an Applebees? Did they all order jes one
> >Coke? If I'd been the mgr, Ida told the entire lot to "fly away"
> >....NOW!

At least you got that part right... and tell them to never come back
as a final fare-thee-well.

> Surcharge? No. Tip? Yes.
>
> If the surcharge is going to the house, I'd walk out. If going to the
> wait staff, I'd just pay it and not leave a tip since that is the tip.

Exactly. At least the places I've eaten at that have the policy have
the presence of mind to call it a "gratuity", not a surcharge. You're
free to tip more and we often do when we see the staff was paying
close attention to the table.

> While I'm of the nature that it should be my choice how much to tip,
> there are valid reasons to charge for the larger parties. The reason
> is, left to their own devices, they usually don't tip much at all. The
> larger the group, the more meager the tip.

As the money "taker", you're lucky to get what you need for the food
itself and often left holding the bag for tip. That's why just
splitting the bill evenly works better (no matter what the individuals
order). If alcohol is involved, the drinkers are responsible for
their own bar tabs and if anyone doesn't like that financial
arrangement, they are free to decline to join in.

> You can make arguments both ways, such as paying a good wage and
> eliminating the tip. As long as you know up front, I don't have a
> problem with the 18% add on. Every year at our Christmas party (about
> 40 people) they add the 18%. Unlike the cheapo pastor, the bill is
> paid with additional tip added.

Agreed on all points and 15-20% is what any normal person in their
right mind gives and more when the server is really paying attention
to you. Most servers do not have company benefits and live off their
tips. Cheap skates like NB and that pastor shouldn't be allowed to
eat out.