Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Surcharge (auto-tip) Yay? Nay?

On 2013-02-02, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> If the surcharge is going to the house, I'd walk out. If going to the
> wait staff, I'd just pay it and not leave a tip since that is the tip.

I don't care how the establishment justifies it or works it out. Not
my problem. It's merely an expense to me.

> While I'm of the nature that it should be my choice how much to tip,
> there are valid reasons to charge for the larger parties. The reason
> is, left to their own devices, they usually don't tip much at all. The
> larger the group, the more meager the tip.

That's a social/psychological issue and I tend to agree. I've seen
this social dynamic in action too many time. Makes ya' wanna knock
some of yer fellow diners upside the head. My solution, I don't dine
with those ppl.

This entire issue could easily be solved if the establishment DID put
the charge up front. Large block letters hanging over the door. YOU
WILL BE CHARGED....! But no, most establishments hide it, like a
dirty littel secret, then spring it at the last moment. 'Well, we
want your business, but we want you to pay extra if...' It's a cheat,
a con, and it's as slimey as the non-tippers in groups who hide behind
the anonymity of numbers.

I figure it this way. One or two ppl, ppl feel exposed, vulnerable,
'Everyone will know I'm a blackguard if I stiff the server', so they
pay a decent tip. But, get in a group, where there are many, and ppl
get all devious and tightfisted, 'No one will know it's me who is
scurvy dirtbag of the lowest order'. I've had fights with ppl like
this. In fact I had a boss who absolutely refused any kind of tip at
all. "NO! I don't tip". What an ass! We knew we'd hafta pony up to
cover his shortage. It got so I jes declined his invites.

Carry on.

nb