Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bigbazza[_54_] Bigbazza[_54_] is offline

Default Lamb shanks

"JBurns" wrote in message

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 03:45:05 +1100, "Bigbazza" >
wrote:

>"Farm1" wrote in message ...
>
>"Bigbazza" > wrote in message
>> "Farm1" wrote in message ...
>>
>> I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>> repeating.
>>
>> 3 or 4 lamb shanks
>> 2 rashers bacon chopped
>> 2 Level Tblspns flour
>> 1 and a half C water
>> 1 Tblspn Worcestershire sauce
>> 1 level tspn dry mustard pdr
>> 1 tin tomato puree ( I substituted a 400g tin of tom pieces and a couple
>> of
>> Tblspns of Tom paste)
>> 1 level Tblspn brown sugar
>> half a C white vinegar
>> 1 sliced onion
>> 1 level tspn salt
>> Fry chopped bacon and shanks rolled in flour. Drain and place in
>> casserole.
>> Combine puree, water, sauce, vinegar, mustard, sliced onion and remaining
>> flour and pour over shanks. Cover and cook in moderate oven until
>> tender,
>> approx 2 hours.
>>
>> The remaining 'sauce' was thinned down with water and eaten as a 'soup'
>> the
>> next day.
>>

>> Mmmm...That sounds nice, Fran.....I might give it a go........

>It was very tasty Bazz, but if you want to do a tasty but even easier shank
>recipe just use a third of a cup of each of maple syrup, beef stock and soy
>sauce. Cook in a crock pot and then serve the shanks over boiled rice with
>the liquid and you've got a minimla effort but tasty meal.
>

>Sounds very easy, Fran.....An unusual combination of Maple Syrup, Beef
>Stock
>& Soya sauce......I suppose you could do a couple of Lamb Shanks in that
>much liquid?......Ans approx how long would you slow cook them for,
>Fran....and either high or low?
>
>I saw your note in ASP, and Lyndon wants you to also post it there,
>Fran......We have a couple of interested cooks there, and could also be an
>occasional topic as well..:-)
>
>Can't seem to sleep tonight, as you will notice our Australian time of
>posting this!.....3:45am!!
>
>Barry Oz

I tried the lamb shanks (with maple syrup) over the weekend. They will
not replace my favourite recipe, but they were delicious. The flavour
is not what you would expect from the unusual ingredients.

JB

What is your favourite recipe, JB?......

Barry Oz