Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chili?

Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I mean real chili, not the stuff with beans in it (can't
> eat beans anyway).
>
> Raley's had a three pound natural rump roast on sale
> for $3.99/lb. So, I had the butcher grind it up. The
> idea is to make chili.
>
> So, I have 3 lb ground beef. Powdered and fresh onion
> and garlic. Powdered Chili: Cayenne, Ancho, Chimayo
> (new Mexico Red), Paprika.
>
> And a saute pan.
>
> What next? How would you guys make up a pot of chili?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

You wouldn't like mine then. My preferred chili is three cans of beans
(different kinds), a can of corn, a jar of salsa and from there I doctor it
with whatever I have. Usually lots of chopped onions and peppers, fresh
tomatoes if I have those, ciltantro, chili powder, maybe jalapenos if I have
those. I used to serve this over rice. I don't have the rice now. I do
have rice. But for me, it's usually either rice or beans but not both.
Exception would be when I make Spanish rice and put some beans in it to use
it up. But some would say that I can't call what I make Spanish rice
because I put so many vegetables in it to lower the carb count.

I may be the atypical diabetic. But eating low carb simply does not work
for me. If I don't eat enough carbs, my BG will shoot up over 300 and this
was true even when I was on no meds or insulin. But for me, it's a fine
line. Must eat some carbs but not too many. On the flip side, I can at
times just as easily go hypo. So I have to be really careful. But beans
never spike me, provided I don't eat too many of them.