Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default Lamb shanks

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 06:24:27 -0800 (PST), Helpful person
> wrote:

>On Jan 21, 6:45*pm, "Farm1" > wrote:
>>
>> Doens't the US have any real butcher's shops?

>I'm lucky having some wonderful food purveyors locally, all in a
>fairly small town. There's very little I can't get. These include
>some of the best places in the country including the following:
>
>Butcher
>Fishmonger
>Deli (bread, cheese, salami, oils, vinegars etc.)
>Smoked fish and meat
>
>Ann Arbor, MI
>http://www.richardfisher.com

If you live in the original bunching area of immigration to the US,
you probably still have access to local butchers, bakers, cheese and
sausage makers. The traditions are strong in these areas and still
reflect their heritage. When you get to the pioneer areas, where
people were interested in claiming land for ranching or gold mining or
to create their fortune, the distances were/are great between
populations, the communities are filled with culturally diverse people
and those pioneers were not really interested in carrying their
culture with them. Distance still has a great deal to do with
accessibility to different kinds of food. Not all of these distances
have been conquered by modern transportation as low levels of
population means that stocking of 'exotic' items won't sell enough to
warrant the outlay.
Janet US