Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan[_6_] Bryan[_6_] is offline

Default Lamb shanks

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 7:34:58 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 22/01/2013 12:07 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:45:52 +1100, "Farm1" >

> > wrote:

> >> Doens't the US have any real butcher's shops?

> > They're few and far between. Something like lamb shanks and oxtails

> > shouldn't be a butcher shop exclusive.

> Years ago I was able to get lamb only at one butcher shop in the city
>
> where we lived. I never saw shanks there. That place is gone now. My
>
> regular butcher does not carry lamb.Mt back-up butcher does not carry
>
> lamb. The only place I can get lamb is at the larger grocery stores, and
>
> they only carry shanks occasionally.

I buy lamb at the international foods grocer. It's *way* less expensive there than at the supermarket, where it is a specialty item. We're going there this morning because it is a block from my job, and I accidentally brought home the soda machine keys, so I have to return them. It'll be a chance for my wife to go there, which is infrequent. The last brand and type of refrigerated black olives I bought there were so good last night with the lamb, and were only $3.59/half kilo.

--Bryan