Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default Lamb shanks

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 10:56:55 +1100, "Farm1" >
wrote:

>"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:08:43 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> snip
>>>
>>>I'll have to look at them, but I'm sure you're right. Oxtail soup
>>>requires a nice ratio of meat & fat to the bone. These are already
>>>disjointed.

>>>Power tools? Even with my freezer and love of soup I don't need a huge
>>>package of oxtails. I doubt I could find them in restaurant size
>>>packages. Still, I do love oxtail soup/stew. Very hearty.
>>>
>>>Jill

>> No power tools, just a short pry bar and maybe a hammer or something.
>> Because the tails are round, there are spaces where you can get
>> between to pry the frozen tails apart in serviceable chunks.

>Just use secateurs or branch loppers. Both would do the job easier than a
>hammer and a pry bar.

not really. This is a frozen box of 3+-inch thick by 3+ inch across
-- all frozen together in a flat plane. The box is 15 pounds. I'm
not trying to cut the tails into pieces. I'm trying to separate
chunks of pieces into meal-size portions without thawing the whole
pack. There is nothing about this job that branch loppers would
handle.
Janet US