Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lamb shanks

On 21/01/2013 1:41 PM, David Rance wrote:
> This thread prompts me to add my own simple recipe for lamb shanks. I
> didn't notice there being any rosemary in any of the recipes mentioned
> so far and, for me, that is an important flavouring for lamb. This takes
> little time to prepare but it can then to be left to cook on its own
> until you are ready.
>
> 2 lamb shanks
> 1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
> 2 cloves garlic, crushed
> 2 carrots, cut in half-inch rounds
> 2 bay leaves
> 2 sprigs rosemary
> 1 dried chilli
> quarter pint of stock (beef or lamb), heated to boiling
> salt to taste
>
> Heat some oil in a saucepan. Seal the ends of the lamb shanks for half a
> minute or so. Transfer to a slow-cooker/crockpot. Then cook the onions
> and garlic in the oil until translucent and transfer them to the
> crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients to the lamb, onions and garlic
> and then top the crockpot up with boiling water. Make sure that anything
> you add to the crockpot is hot! Let it simmer for at least four hours
> but it doesn't matter it you go over this. We usually eat it with fresh
> bread
>
> The above directions are not prescriptive - it's just the way I do it.
> Since it is such a simple recipe you can add other ingredients according
> to your taste. (I no longer add garlic as my wife cannot tolerate it any
> more but it still has a good rounded flavour.)

That is similar to my preferred method but I a few things different.
First of all, I use a large pot to sear the shanks. I then remove them
and saute chopped onion, celery, carrots and a couple cloves of garlic.
Put the shanks back in and add a bottle of dark ale and a cup or two of
broth and a sprig of thyme.

If you want to try something a little more involved but well the effort,
try my signature dish on the RFC web site,

http://www.recfoodcooking.org/sigs/D...%20Onions.html