Posted to rec.food.cooking
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Lamb shanks

This thread prompts me to add my own simple recipe for lamb shanks. I
didn't notice there being any rosemary in any of the recipes mentioned
so far and, for me, that is an important flavouring for lamb. This takes
little time to prepare but it can then to be left to cook on its own
until you are ready.

2 lamb shanks
1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 carrots, cut in half-inch rounds
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs rosemary
1 dried chilli
quarter pint of stock (beef or lamb), heated to boiling
salt to taste

Heat some oil in a saucepan. Seal the ends of the lamb shanks for half a
minute or so. Transfer to a slow-cooker/crockpot. Then cook the onions
and garlic in the oil until translucent and transfer them to the
crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients to the lamb, onions and garlic
and then top the crockpot up with boiling water. Make sure that anything
you add to the crockpot is hot! Let it simmer for at least four hours
but it doesn't matter it you go over this. We usually eat it with fresh
bread

The above directions are not prescriptive - it's just the way I do it.
Since it is such a simple recipe you can add other ingredients according
to your taste. (I no longer add garlic as my wife cannot tolerate it any
more but it still has a good rounded flavour.)

The next day we reduce the remaining liquid to about half and make soup
out of it (as Farm1 did!).

David