Posted to rec.food.cooking
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Lamb shanks

<Ross@home> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>>I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>>repeating.

> We raised sheep for many years and loved lamb cooked many ways. It's
> just too bad that there's only two shanks per lamb or we'd have had
> them more often (couldn't afford to butcher 3 lambs at the same time
> just so we could have half a dozen shanks).
> Time consuming, but this is a great recipe for lamb shanks:
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...-Shanks-105869

That does sound good. But if I was cooking it for just us two, I'd only use
2 shanks in the same amount of sauce and then just use the left over sauce
to make something else with (if there was any) - maybe incorporate it into a
beef stew or somesuch??

The left over sauce from the recipe I posted made a great soup cut with
water and I think that left over sauce in the recipe you posted would have a
similar use depending on what it tastes like in the end (if there was any
left over after that amount of time cooking).

I think that recipe would also work in a slow cooker too. It doens't look
like there is a lot of liquid for 6 shanks in the oven for so long and I'm
not a big fan of oven heat on unsubmerged shanks and there could be a
possibility they might be a bit dry. Interesting recipe though, and I have
bookmarked it to try sometime so thanks for posting it.