Posted to rec.food.cooking
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Lamb shanks

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:38:41 +1100, "Farm1" >
> wrote:
>
>> I tried a new recipe for lamb shanks the other day and it was worth
>> repeating.
>>
>> 3 or 4 lamb shanks
>> 2 rashers bacon chopped
>> 2 Level Tblspns flour
>> 1 and a half C water
>> 1 Tblspn Worcestershire sauce
>> 1 level tspn dry mustard pdr
>> 1 tin tomato puree ( I substituted a 400g tin of tom pieces and a couple
>> of
>> Tblspns of Tom paste)
>> 1 level Tblspn brown sugar
>> half a C white vinegar
>> 1 sliced onion
>> 1 level tspn salt
>> Fry chopped bacon and shanks rolled in flour. Drain and place in
>> casserole.
>> Combine puree, water, sauce, vinegar, mustard, sliced onion and remaining
>> flour and pour over shanks. Cover and cook in moderate oven until
>> tender,
>> approx 2 hours.
>>
>> The remaining 'sauce' was thinned down with water and eaten as a 'soup'
>> the
>> next day.
>>

> That looks delicious!

It was and I was rather surprised by how good it was. I've treid lots of
other shank recipes but have alwyays gone back to the usual way I cook them
which is in a mix of soy sauce, maple syprup and beef stock. The new recipe
is a keeper.

I'm still chasing the flavor of the "Baby Leg
> of Lamb" I used to order at a long gone Armenian restaurant. The next
> time I make lamb shanks, I'll try cooking them with some red wine.

The would have an affinity with red wine. did the Armenian Baby leg of lamb
(even the name of which sounds good) use red wine?