Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default 13 Banned Foods Still Allowed in the U.S.

Jeßus wrote:
> sf > wrote:
>
>>http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-you...ill-allowed-us

>>After all these years, I still haven't figured out why people buy
>>bleached flour when it bleaches all by itself over time.

> "Why the U.S. Allows It: We eat with our eyes. “Recent studies have
> shown that when food manufacturers left foods in their natural, often
> beige-like color instead of coloring them with these chemical agents,
> individuals thought they tasted bland and ate less, even when the
> recipe wasn't altered,”
>
> I find this baffling... are people really this stupid?

More like lacking in flavor discernment.

I've met a lot of people who can't tell good tasting food from terrible
tasting food. Not just terrible according to my tastes but terrible
according to other folks who can tell the difference. Such folks depend
on color, texture, etc. One friend had his sense of smell destroyed in
an industrial chemcial incident and he knows he has the issue. Some
folks have no taste but aren't aware of it.

This is correlated with why restaurants salt food heavily. The segment
of the population with little flavor discernment taste the salt and
think it's better. Some think salt accents othter flavors. Some notice
the salt separately from the other flavors. Some object to the extra
salt. The last group, popular here on RFC is in a minority.