Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default 13 Banned Foods Still Allowed in the U.S.

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:55:45 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 1/17/2013 9:34 PM, Pete C. wrote:
> > sf wrote:
> >> http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-you...ill-allowed-us
> >>
> >> After all these years, I still haven't figured out why people buy
> >> bleached flour when it bleaches all by itself over time.
> >>

> > The key thing here is "free country" (for now) vs. "nanny state". I for
> > one will make my own decisions on what foods I will eat, and I do indeed
> > pay attention to what is in them. People need to wake up, pay attention
> > and think for themselves rather than surrendering more and more rights
> > to an out of control government.

> Yes, I'm in favor of allowing personal choice but one also needs full
> disclosure of ingredients in foods to allow a decision. I buy flour so
> infrequently that I cannot remember whether bleaching is mentioned on
> the package.

One package says "Unbleached Flour" and the other just says Flour, so
you know by omission that Flour means it's bleached. Same thing with
GMOs. You know a product is organic because it clearly says so. By
omission, everything else has an undisclosed amount of GMOs in it.