Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 13 Banned Foods Still Allowed in the U.S.

Jeßus wrote:

> >After all these years, I still haven't figured out why people buy
> >bleached flour when it bleaches all by itself over time.

> "Why the U.S. Allows It: We eat with our eyes. “Recent studies have
> shown that when food manufacturers left foods in their natural, often
> beige-like color instead of coloring them with these chemical agents,
> individuals thought they tasted bland and ate less, even when the
> recipe wasn't altered,”

That's not the reason flour is "bleached". Unbleached flour has an appealing
yellowish tint. I think that quote probably applies to processed foods. E.g.
American cheese. The kind with the hideous orange coloring outsells the
natural one by a large margin.

> I find this baffling... are people really this stupid?

That is, pardon the expression, a stupid question. The answer is obviously
"YES!! People are $(&%&ing stupid!"

> Sort of on the same topic - and not an ingredient - but how are
> cannulated cows considered an acceptable practice?

Do you have a colostomy bag attached, by any chance?