Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob notbob is offline

Default 13 Banned Foods Still Allowed in the U.S.

On 2013-01-17, Jeßus > wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:02:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>Used to be that cheese was sold in different colors in different parts of
>>the country. Annatto was/is used as the coloring agent which AFAIK is safe.
>>On the East Coast, the cheese was left plain. So rather white, perhaps with
>>a slight tint of yellow. Here on the West Coast it was/is tinted yellow and
>>down South it was even more yellow, bordering on orange.

> Possibly that is regional variations from years gone by, and now the
> cheese is made at one factory, so they change the colours accordingly?

I went thru that phase. White cheddar!? Being a CA son, never seen
anything but yellow cheddar. I swore white tasted different, not as
good. Now, I know better. Gimme the cheddar that tastes best, color
be damned. I've heard they tried uncolored (wht) margerine, too, and it
was a dismal sales failure.

nb