Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jeßus[_3_] Jeßus[_3_] is offline

Default 13 Banned Foods Still Allowed in the U.S.

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:02:33 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 06:30:48 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.shape.com/blogs/shape-you...ill-allowed-us
>>>
>>>After all these years, I still haven't figured out why people buy
>>>bleached flour when it bleaches all by itself over time.

>> "Why the U.S. Allows It: We eat with our eyes. "Recent studies have
>> shown that when food manufacturers left foods in their natural, often
>> beige-like color instead of coloring them with these chemical agents,
>> individuals thought they tasted bland and ate less, even when the
>> recipe wasn't altered,"
>>

>> I find this baffling... are people really this stupid?
>>
>> Sort of on the same topic - and not an ingredient - but how are
>> cannulated cows considered an acceptable practice?

>Used to be that cheese was sold in different colors in different parts of
>the country. Annatto was/is used as the coloring agent which AFAIK is safe.
>On the East Coast, the cheese was left plain. So rather white, perhaps with
>a slight tint of yellow. Here on the West Coast it was/is tinted yellow and
>down South it was even more yellow, bordering on orange.

Possibly that is regional variations from years gone by, and now the
cheese is made at one factory, so they change the colours accordingly?

>When my husband first moved here, he didn't want the yellow cheese. He
>wanted white. It was what he was used to. And although some stores did
>carry the white in those days, it was much more expensive. These days you
>can get both kinds in pretty much all cheese. I don't think you can get
>white American cheese though. No clue how this started.

I've seen cheeses here in Australia that purport to be quality
cheeses, boasting about the quality natural ingredients... except they
add artificial colouring.

>Other than that, I do know that little kids *love* brightly colored foods.
>Angela used to pine for these things. She gave up on it after I just
>wouldn't let her have them.

Understandable for kids, not so sure about adults