Brian Macke

Default Proofing bread at home.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 02:35:55 +0000, Fred wrote:

> I learned how bakers proof bread at the culinary school today. I had a
> chance to use the big wet warm cabinet called a proofer. How do you do
> it at home?

I proof my dough by putting the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover it
with saran wrap, and put the bowl on top of my computer monitor. The
inside of the bowl ends up being just the right temp.

During the summer, I'll sometimes put the bowl in sunlight to provide more
even heating.

> Do you just wait longer in cooler temperatures or is there some good way
> to produce the effects of a proofer in a home kitchen?

I proof my doughnuts at room temperature, and I've seen that it's better
for the dough. Alton Brown claims that you should proof in the fridge, but
I can't say that I agree with that. I've noticed that it leads to uneven
proofing as the dough goes through its temperature change in a rather slow
fashion. Minor point, but for fragile doughs it can be a problem.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which