Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Do You Have A Favorite Gingerbread Recipe?

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:59:23 -0900, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

> Every Sunday our children/grandchildren come to our house. A tradition
> that was started when I was still working at Sears in the early 90's, as
> that was the only time we could all get together. I usually bake two, or
> three kinds of cookies, as they go over about the best, but we've all
> had so many cookies during the holidays, that I was thinking warm
> gingerbread, topped with real whipped cream might go over real well, for
> a change. I never have had a "favorite" recipe for one, but usually like
> the ones I have made.
>
> I just wonder if anyone here has a wonderful tried 'n' true recipe for
> gingerbread, and if you'd care to share it? I prefer one that is at
> least a 9x13 inch size, though I suppose I could double a smaller cake
> recipe.

I can't begin to tell you how good this one is.

Rich Spicy Gingerbread
posted by: Wayne Boatwright rec.food.cooking 10-09

Serves: 8

1/2 cup Unsalted Butter -- Melted
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Unsulphered Molasses
1 Egg
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsps Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbl Ground Ginger
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1 cup Boiling Water
1 tsp Grated Orange Zest -- Optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine dry ingredients, except sugar, in medium bowl and blend well
with whisk. Set aside.

In mixer bowl, combine melted butter, sugar and molasses. Beat on low
speed until well combined.

Add egg to mixture and beat on low speed until mixture is smooth.

Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl alternatively with boiling water,
mixing until just combined.

Bake in deep 9-inch cake pan or iron skillet 35-45 minutes, or until
firm to touch and toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out
clean.

Allow to cool before serving.