Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do You Have A Favorite Gingerbread Recipe?

Judy Haffner wrote:
> Every Sunday our children/grandchildren come to our house. A tradition
> that was started when I was still working at Sears in the early 90's,
> as that was the only time we could all get together. I usually bake
> two, or three kinds of cookies, as they go over about the best, but
> we've all had so many cookies during the holidays, that I was
> thinking warm gingerbread, topped with real whipped cream might go
> over real well, for a change. I never have had a "favorite" recipe
> for one, but usually like the ones I have made.
>
> I just wonder if anyone here has a wonderful tried 'n' true recipe for
> gingerbread, and if you'd care to share it? I prefer one that is at
> least a 9x13 inch size, though I suppose I could double a smaller cake
> recipe.
>
> Judy

I made it a couple of times when I was a kid. I want to say that the recipe
was on some box of something or other that we had in the kitchen. But
nobody really liked the stuff. I thought it was okay but I've never been
thrilled with cake like stuff, which this was. After the second time of
throwing it out, I didn't make it again until a few years ago when I found a
gluten free recipe for it. Again, didn't go over so well.

I wonder if maybe it isn't a commonly liked food? I don't think I've ever
seen it in a bakery.