cutecat

Default Visiting Washington State

"Jim Lovejoy" > wrote in message
> "JK" > wrote in :
>
> > I hope to be visiting Washington State in late August to mid
> > September. I hope to get at least a day near Woodinville and one near
> > Yakima. It seems that most of the wineries near Woodinville are only
> > open on weekends, and since I am unlikely to buy more than a couple of
> > bottles I don't want to make appointments.
> >
> > Questions I have: Any tips on visiting those areas? Any good spots
> > for photographing vineyards? How is quality in recent vintages? When
> > is harvest expected?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jerry

I can appreciate that you don't want to "waste" winemakers' time, but the
people at JM Cellars and DiStefano's are really quite flexible about this
issue, and the wines offered for tasting there are much better than the
commercialized tourist-oriented rooms at St. Michelle and Columbia.

Another way to go is to visit the downtown Seattle Pike Place Market's
Tasting Room. This is a consortium of several very good wineries, and you
can get $5 and $8 dollar tasting series http://www.winesofwashington.com/
JM Cellars, Wineglass, and Wilridge are especially good.

Have fun! If you make it down to Pike Place lunch at Matt's in the Market
is a good choice.